Tuesday, November 5, 2019

2019 Citizen’s Report on NC DPI Data for WCPSS


On September 17, 2019, WCPSS (Wake County Public School System) staff presented Testing and Accountability Overview 2018-19 to the WCPSS School Board (and the public).  It was an overview presentation of 2019 performance data with some historical context, and portrayed a general state of “okayness” for WCPSS academics.

Since then, I have invested my free time in understanding many of the details behind that report.  This has included considerable education about how the 8th grade math EOG and Math 1 EOC metrics are reported now and in the past.  The purpose of my learning was to be able to confidently question data and explanations provide to the public from WCPSS, AND to convey my learnings to YOU, the tax paying citizens in this county.

I have since created a 148 page presentation, which was "presented" in a 4 part video series.  Hopefully, you will watch the videos and learn to question the authority of this school district when they spoon feed you happy numbers that are not sourced, not in context, and that look okay enough to appease the casual observer.  Don't take everything you hear at face value, especially explanations that might sound like excuses.  Ask questions.  Ask why.  Seek context.  Seek truth.


4-Part Video Series: 2019 Citizen’s Report on NC DPI Data for WCPSS


148 pages total - PDF FILE

Total duration: 2 hours 6 minutes

Part 1: 4 Year GLP & CCR Trends vs State of NC (20 minutes)

I will explain the data analysis I have recently done about Wake County Public School System's 2019 End of Grade (EOG) and End of Course (EOC) results. In this video I cover the comparisons of WCPSS data versus the state of NC, as well as Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools versus the state of NC. By examining the 4 year trends of these comparisons you will see how WCPSS is losing its grade level proficiency lead over the state in every single subject.

Part 2: Math 1 Metrics Explained (18 minutes)


In this video I am not showing any data (sorry - that will soon AND will be worth the wait!). But in this video I will explain what I learned about NC's Math 1 metrics and what they mean. I've spent scores of hours to get to this level of understanding. So in only 18 minutes, you will know as much as I do!

Part 3 - Math 1 Metrics used by WCPSS) + Corrections (39 minutes)

This video may feel like a slow painful roller coaster ride.  I will attempt to explain to you the different versions of the Math 1 EOC data shared to the public by WCPSS in the past year, how that data maps (or doesn't map) to publicly available NCDPI data, and why or why not.  I will show how the new 2018 and 2019 DPI metrics for Math 1 are converging towards the definitions WCPSS has been using via internal calculations for years, and why using standard metrics (even if imperfect) is far better and more informative than using internal metrics.  Additionally, I will share AND address a statement from NCDPI which cautions against making simple year to year comparisons of the 2019 vs 2018 Math 1 EOC metrics.  I will explain why WCPSS should have been one of the most prepared districts in the state for the new 2019 Math 1 EOC which are based on new math standards.  Then I will show 2019 data that does NOT rely on year to year comparisons (and therefore is not subject to the 2018 vs 2019 warning) but instead shows WCPSS' Math 1 EOC compared to other NC districts.   Lastly, I will show the importance and power of using standard metrics and digging into subgroup details to understand achievement gaps.  This will give a preview of what is to come in Part 4.

UPDATE 10/27/19: This version also includes a corrections addendum at the end of the video.  I received some corrected information about one of the data sets (the WCPSS V2 data set, the blend of middle and high school) and wanted to address that correction.

Part 4 - Deep Dive on Math 1 Metrics (49 minutes)

In this final chapter of data analysis (for now), I will cover:
  1. Follow-up on charts I showed at the BoE meeting on 10/15/19, which includes a 3-dimensional visualization of the M1 Math 1 EOC metric mapped against EDS% and High school vs Middle school percentage.
  2. Deep dive into subgroup scores for Math 1
  3. Revist the WCPSS vs NC "delta" charts covered in Part 1, with an update for Math 1 metrics
  4. View of achievement gaps for Math 1 metrics.
  5. 2018 & 2019 demographics for Math 1 test takers
  6. Summary and conclusions

Legal Disclaimer

To the best of my knowledge, all of the data I present in these videos is accurate and from cited sources, mostly available at NCDPI Accountability Services Division.  Otherwise, I am demonstrating how I do my calculations in an effort to be transparent and show my critical thinking approach to analysis.

Because thousands of manual calculations and Excel maneuvers were required to get these large data sets in consumable form, there is a chance I miscopied a formula or number or made a mistake.  PLEASE REPORT ERRORS, COMMENTS, OR SUGGESTIONS TO wakemvpparent@gmail.com.

Before you criticize me and my charts, I also ask that you review and critique the high level charts that are usually accepted at face value when presented from WCPSS staff.

If you don't like this data, or it hurts your feelings, or it contradicts your point of view, don't waste your time suing me.  Go do your own research, and cite your sources and prove your own points in your own videos.  I'd be glad to watch and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment